Medical elective accommodation with a first-class touch
Baragwanath House is the place to stay when completing your medical elective at one of Johannesburg’s hospitals. Just a 10-minute car ride to Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital, fondly known as ‘Bara’, Baragwanath House’s location is a perfect balance between the hustle and bustle of hospital life, and pure relaxation in the quiet, leafy suburb of Mondeor. We have housed medical elective students from all over the globe and have hosted over 200 students since opening our doors in 2014. The owner, Hayden, stays on the property with his gorgeous and friendly Scottish Terroir, Ockley, in a separate house to the medical elective accommodation. So, should you wish to know anything about the accommodation, local attractions, or just to sit down and enjoy a drink, he will always be on hand to help.
Medical Elective Accommodation
Baragwanath house has been designed with you, the medical student, in mind. We want to make
your stay a comfortable one and have allowed for communal areas where you can interact with the
other guests, but also understand that after a long day at the hospital, you need the space to
unwind. Our medical elective accommodation includes:
- 7 fully furnished, private bedrooms each boasting a double bed, plenty of cupboard space, a lockable safe, and linen.
- 3 big showers.
- 4 toilets.
- A large communal kitchen with a 6-plate gas stove/oven.
- A communal dining room with a large table to accommodate everyone.
- A stunning courtyard where you can enjoy the African weather.
- A communal lounge with a flat screen TV, and a fireplace for those every-now-and-again cold, winter days.
- A communal games room, including a bar and pool table.
- Outdoor, undercover entertainment area with barbecue facilities, and a swimming pool.
- Massive new swimming pool and outdoor Jacuzzi.
- Uncapped WIFI and a printer.
- Laundry facilities.
- The house is serviced twice a week.
- Secure, covered parking is available should you wish to hire a car. Uber is also an option for getting around.
We are in close distance to various shopping centres, for when you need to stock up on anything
that you may need. The suburb is safe for any runners and walkers who may be visiting and is a great
way to let go of the pressures of the day.
This and so much more makes Baragwanath House the perfect place to stay when completing your
Although we know how stressful and busy completing your medical elective can be, we are always
on hand to give suggestions when is comes to you exploring your new surroundings.
- The Klipriviersberg Nature Reserve is a beautiful location for hiking and enjoying your natural surroundings. There is large game to be seen such as zebra, Red Hartebeest and Black Wildebeest, and is also known as a bird watching hotspot. Visitors are usually surprised by this natural beauty set in the southern suburbs of Johannesburg.
- Gold Reef City Theme Park and Casino is the place to bring out your inner child by enjoying many hair-raising rollercoasters at the Gold Reef City Theme Park. And, if you would prefer a more ‘grown-up’ evening, across the road at the Gold Reef City Casino is where you can find restaurants, a casino, a movie theatre and loads more.
- FNB Soccer Stadium, also known as Soccer City Stadium, hosted the opening and closing ceremonies of the 2010 Soccer World Cup, as well as the final game that saw Spain crowned as the winners. The ‘Calabash’ is the place to be to experience a soccer match and has played host to many international music acts.
- The Orlando Towers has it all when it comes to extreme sports; bungee jumping, base jumping, wall climbing, paintball, SCAD freefall, abseiling or why not swing between the two towers to get the perfect view of Soweto. Pre-booking is essential.
- Want to get in an organised 5km run on a Saturday morning? Why not join the Rietvlei Zoo Farm park run. Every Saturday morning, runners and walkers of all levels of fitness, get together to enjoy a marked out 5km route. Rietvlei also boasts marked 5km, 10km and 15km trail runs, but if you would prefer to relax there are quiet picnic spots and restaurants set among the beautiful, green parks.
- If you would like to get in a tour of Johannesburg, the efficient and enjoyable Johannesburg Hop-On-Hop-Off bus tour is the best choice. Take in Johannesburg and decide where you would like to stop and visit, and if you would like to see it all definitely add on the Soweto Tour.
At Baragwanath House we offer Single Room Rates as well as Sharing Rates. For more information
on our rates, and availability please contact us.